Cabarrus County Schools Transportation Center
The Cabarrus County Schools Transportation Center replaced a 1950’s Transportation Center that was located on the same site and was inadequate for the fast growing school system. Prior to beginning design, Morris-Berg Architects conducted a comprehensive pre-design process with project stakeholders that included an analysis and evaluation of existing facilities, data collection for existing space utilization, building code/accessibility analysis, programming, conceptual design recommendations, budgeting, and construction phasing for the project.
Numerous options were assessed, including alternate sites and the re-purposing of existing facilities, before determining that the existing site could be used to meet all of the Owner’s requirements. The facility houses Operations and Maintenance facilities for the Transportation Department, and offices for Child Nutrition. The maintenance area of the building includes fourteen mechanics bays, tire shop and tire storage, battery storage, machine and welding shop, fluids storage, and steam clean. Adjacent to the shop area is a parts storage and
distribution area, locker rooms, break rooms, and a storage mezzanine. The administrative office area of the building includes offices and conference rooms, a large training room, and a separate break room and toilets for the drivers. The 24-acre site allows for parking for 246 buses as well as staff and visitor parking. The existing paint and body shop was also retained.
- Project Type: Renovation/Addition
- Year Completed: 2009